Dr. Charpentier is a general surgeon with expertise in surgery of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas. He completed a liver, pancreas and kidney transplant fellowship at the University of Washington in 2003 before joining the faculty at the University of Connecticut where he opened and directed the Pancreas Transplant Program. He went on to obtain additional training in laparoscopic liver surgery before being recruited to Brown University and University Surgical Associates in 2006.
Dr. Charpentier has a busy clinical practice treating patients with surgical problems of the liver, bile ducts and pancreas. His research focuses on improving outcomes for patients with cancer of the liver, pancreas and bile ducts. Currently, his funded research focuses on exploring novel techniques for tumor ablation in the liver and pancreas, as well as, developing novel chemotherapy regimens for patients with pancreas and liver cancer. Dr. Charpentier has several publications and has lectured extensively in his field of interest.
|Tomimaru, Yoshito, Mishra, Sasmita, Safran, Howard, Charpentier, Kevin P., Martin, William, De Groot, Anne S., Gregory, Stephen H., Wands, Jack R. Aspartate-β-hydroxylase induces epitope-specific T cell responses in hepatocellular carcinoma. Vaccine. 2015; 33 (10) : 1256-1266.|
|Olefson, Sidney, Jackson, Melissa, Grand, David J., Charpentier, Kevin P., Makwana, Nirav Identification of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease following Pancreatic Surgery in a Western Cohort Using a Novel Radiographic Technique. Journal of Clinical and Translational Hepatology. 2015; 3 (4) : 246-253.|
|Alexander, Erica S., Wolf, Farrah J., Machan, Jason T., Charpentier, Kevin P., Beland, Michael D., Iannuccilli, Jason D., Haas, Richard H., Dupuy, Damian E. Microwave ablation of focal hepatic malignancies regardless of size: A 9-year retrospective study of 64 patients. European Journal of Radiology. 2015; 84 (6) : 1083-1090.|
|Harrington, David T., Miner, Thomas J., Ng, Thomas, Charpentier, Kevin P., Richardson, Pam, Cioffi, William G. What Shape is Your Resident in? Using a Radar Plot to Guide a Milestone Clinical Competency Discussion. Journal of Surgical Education. 2015; 72 (6) : e294-e298.|
21. Sibulesky L, Charpentier K, Gohh RY, Morrissey PE. Kidney Transplantation from Donors with Severe Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation. International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN) – Transplantation, Accepted 1/2013.
20. Ratanaprasatporn L, Dupuy D, Resnick M, Lu S, Charpentier KP. Intra-Operative Microwave Ablation of Liver Malignancies with Tumor Permittivity Feedback Control: A Prospective Ablate and Resect Study. HPB accepted 1/2013.
19. Safran H, Charpentier KP, Kaubisch A, Dubel G, Perez K, Faricy-Anderson K, Miner T, Eng Y, Victor J, Plette A, Espat J, Bakalarski P, Wingate P, Mantripragada K, Berz D, Luppe D, Martel D, Rosati K, Santiago A and Isdale D. Lenalidomide for Second-Line Treatment of Advanced Hepatocellular Cancer: A Brown University Oncology Group Phase II Study. J Clin Oncol accepted for publication 11/2012.
18. Charpentier, KP. Irreversible electroporation for the ablation of liver tumors: Are we there yet? Arch Surg. Accepted for publication 5/2012.
17. Shimoda M, Tomimaru Y, Charpentier KP, Safran H,Carlson RI, Wands JR. Tumor progression-related transmembrane protein aspartate b-hydroxylase is a target for immunotherapy of hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol 2012;56(5):1129-35.
15. Charpentier KP, Wolf F, Resnick M, Noble L, Winn B, Dupuy D. Irreversible electroporation of the liver and liver hilum in swine. HPB 2011;13:168-173.
14. Safran H, Miner T, Bahary N, Whiting S, Lopez C, Sun W, Charpentier K, Shipley J, Anderson E, McNulty B, Schumacher A, Clark A, Vakharia J, Kennedy T. Lapatinib and Gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer: A phase II study. Am J Clin Oncol 2011;34(1):50-52.
16. Miner TJ, Cohen J, Charpentier KP, McPhillips J, Marvell L, Cioffi W. The Palliative Triangle: Better Patient Selection Improves Outcomes Following Palliative Operations. Arch Surg 2011; 146(5):517-23.
13. Jackson KL, Charpentier KP. Quantitative banding for steal syndrome secondary to arteriovenous fistulae. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2010; 92:534.
12. Thomay A, Charpentier KP. Optimizing resection for "responding" hepatic metastases after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. J Surg Oncol 2010;102:1002-8.
11. Charpentier KP, Wolf F, Resnick M, Noble L, Winn B, Dupuy D. Irreversible electroporation of the pancreas in swine: a pilot study. HPB 2010;12(5):348-51.
10. Yango A, Gohh R, Fischer S, Morrissey P, Charpentier K, Monaco A. The Utility of 6 Month Protocol Renal Biopsy under Modern Immunosuppression. Clin Nephrol 2008;70(6):490-5.
9. Charpentier KP, Cheah YL, Machan JT, Miner T, Morrissey P, Monaco A. Intention to treat survival following liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma within a donor service area. HPB 2008;10: 412-15.
8. Charpentier KP, Mavanur A. Removing patients from the liver transplant waitlist: a survey of United States liver transplant programs. Liver Transpl 2008;14:303-8.
7. Ojo P, Ranga KV, Brown M, Hull D, Charpentier KP. Transplantation of a unilateral fused kidney with inferior ectopia: revascularization utilizing donor aorta and vena cava. Conn Med 2008;72(10):585-8.
6. Friedrich J, Charpentier KP, Marsh CL, Bakthavatsalam R, Levy A, Kuhr CS. Outcomes with the selective use of enteric exocrine drainage in pancreas transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2004;36:3101-04.
5. Charpentier KP, Brentnall TA, Bronner MP, Byrd D, Marsh C. A new indication for pancreas transplantation: high-grade pancreatic dysplasia. Clin Transplant. 2004 Feb;18(1):105-7.
4. Martay K, Dembo G, Vater Y, Charpentier KP, Levy A, Bakthavatsalam, R Freund PR. Unexpected surgical difficulties leading to hemorrhage and gas embolus during laparoscopic donor nephrectomy: a case report. Can J Anaesth. 2003 Nov;50(9):891-4.
3. Black PC, Charpentier, KP, Bakthavatsalam R, Marsh C, Porter J. Hand-Assisted, laparoscopic right donor nephrectomy in a patient with situs inversus. Transplantation. 2003 Nov 27;76(10):1530.
2. Charpentier KP, Welch H. Pseudoaneurysm of the superior mesenteric artery secondary to ergot therapy: a case report. Vascular Surgery 1999; 33(3):335-39.
1. Charpentier KP, Von Moltke LL, Poku JW, Haramatz JS, Shader RI, Greenblatt DJ. Alprazolam hydroxylation by mouse liver microsomes in vitro: the effect of age and phenobarbital induction. Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition 1997; 18(2):139-149.
|Safran, Howard||Professor of Medicine|