Dr. Ramratnam completed undergraduate and medical education at Brown University. Following residency and chief residency at Brown, he completed a postdoctoral fellowship at The Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, The Rockefeller University in the Clinical Scholars Program and is now the head of the Laboratory of Retrovirology, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Brown Medical School. He also directs the COBRE Center for Cancer Research Development at Rhode Island Hospital, the Clinical Research Center at Lifespan and the Office of Research Integration at the University of Medicine. He is also the Vice Chair of Research for the Department of Medicine at Brown University as well as an Attending Physician at Miriam and Rhode Island Hospitals.
28. Zhang Y, Cristafaro P, Silbermann R, Pusch O, Monfils P, Hovanesian V, Boden D, Resnick M, Moss SF, Ramratnam B. Engineering mucosal RNAi in vivo. In press Molecular Therapy.
27. Pusch O, Boden D, Hannify S, Lee F, Tucker L, Wells JM, Boyd MR, Ramratnam B, Engineering Lactic Acid Bacteria to secrete the virucide cyanovirin. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 40(5):512-20, 2005
25. Newstein M, Losikoff P, Caliendo A, Ingersoll J, Kurpewski J, Hanley D, Cerezo J, Ramratnam B, Cu-Uvin S. Prevalence and persistence of nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor mutations in the female genital tract. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38(3):364-6, 2005.
26. Balakrishnan P, Kumarasamy N, Solomon S, Vidya S, Kantor R, Mayer K, Newstein M, Thyagarajan SP, Katzenstein D, Ramratnam B. HIV-1 genotypic variation in an antiretroviral treatment naïve population in South India. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21(4):301-5, 2005.
24. Pusch O, Boden D, Silbermann R, Lee F, Tucker L, Ramratnam B. Enhanced gene silencing of HIV-1 specific siRNA using microRNA designed hairpins. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1154-58, 2004.
22. Pusch O, Boden D, Silbermann R, Lee F, Tucker L, Ramratnam B. Efficient gene transfer of HIV-1 specific short hairpin RNA into human lymphocytic cells using recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors. Molecular Therapy 9:396-402, 2004.
23. Ramratnam B, Ribeoro R, He T, Chung C, Simon V, Vanderhoeven J, Hurley A, Zhang L, Perelson AS, Ho DD, Markowitz M. Intensification of antiretroviral therapy accelerates the decay of the HIV-1 latent reservoir and decreases but does not eliminate ongoing virus replication. JAIDS 35: 33-7, 2004.
21. Boden D, Pusch O, Lee F, Tucker L, Ramratnam B. HIV-1 escape from RNA interference. Journal of Virology 77: 11531-11535, 2003.
20. Boden D, Pusch O, Lee F, Tucker L, Shank P, Ramratnam B. Nucleotide sequence homology requirements of HIV-1 specific shRNA. Nucleic Acids Research 31:6444-9, 2003.
19. Boden D, Pusch O, Lee F, Tucker L, Shank PR, Ramratnam B. Promoter choice affects the potency of HIV-1 specific RNA interference. Nucleic Acids Research 31:5033-8, 2003.
18. Simon V, Vanderhoeven J, Hurley A, Ramratnam B, Louie M, Dawson K, Parkin N, Boden D, Markowitz M. (2002) Evolving patterns of HIV-1 resistance to antiretroviral agents in newly infected individuals. AIDS 11:1511-9, 2002.
17. Ortiz GM, Hu J, Goldwitz JA, Chandwani R, Larsson M, Bonhoeffer S, Ramratnam, B, Zhang L, Markowitz M, Nixon DF. (2002) Residual viral replication during antiretroviral therapy boosts human immunodeficiency virus type 1-specific CD8+ T-cell responses in subjects treated early after infection. J Virol 76:411-5, 2002.
16. Mohri, H., Perelson, A.S., Tung, K., Ribeiro, R., Ramratnam, B., Markowitz, M., Kost, R., Hurley, A., Weinburger, L., Cesar, D., Hellerstein, M.K., Ho, D.D. (2001) Increased turnover of T lymphocytes in HIV-1 infection and its reduction by antiretroviral therapy. J. Exp. Med.194:1277-87.
14. Ramratnam B, Mittler JE, Zhang L, Boden D, Hurley A, Fang F, Macken CA, Perelson AS, Markowitz M, Ho DD. The decay of the latent reservoir of replication-competent HIV-1 is inversely correlated with the extent of residual viral replication during prolonged antiretroviral therapy. Nat Med 6: 82-85, 2000.
15. Zhang L, Chung C, Hu BS, He T, Guo Y, Kim AJ, Skulsky E, Jin X, Hurley A, Ramratnam B, Markowitz M, Ho DD. (2000) Genetic characterization of rebounding HIV-1 after cessation of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Clin Invest 106: 839-45, 2000.
13. Ramratnam B, Bonhoeffer S, Binley J, Hurley A, Zhang L, Mittler JE, Markowitz M, Moore JP, Perelson AS, Ho DD. Rapid production and clearance of HIV-1 and hepatitis C virus particles in infected individuals as defined by large volume plasma aphaeresis. Lancet 354: 1782-5, 1999.
12. Zhang L, Ramratnam B, Tenner-Racz K, He Y, Vesanen M, Lewin S, Talal A, Racz P, Perelson AS, Korber BT, Markowitz M, Ho DD. (1999) Quantifying residual HIV-1 replication in patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 340: 1605-13, 1999.
11. Larsson M, Jin X, Ramratnam B, Ogg GS, Engelmayer J, Demoitie MA, McMichael AJ, Cox WI, Steinman RM, Nixon D, Bhardwaj N. A recombinant vaccinia virus based ELISPOT assay detects high frequencies of pol-specific CD8+ cells in HIV-1 positive individuals. AIDS 13:767-7, 1999.
10. Ahmed A, Aggarwal M, Chiu R, Ramratnam B, Rinaldi M, Flanigan TP. A fatal case of Rhodotorula meningitis in AIDS. Med Health RI 81: 22-3, 1998.
8. Rich JD, Ramratnam B, Chiang B, Tashima K. (1997) Management of indinavir associated nephrolithiasis. J Urology 158: 2228, 1997.
7. Grube H, Ramratnam B, Flanigan TP. Resolution of AIDS associated cryptosporidiosis after treatment with indinavir. Amer J Gastroen 92:726, 1997.
6. Rich JD, Ramratnam B, Flanigan TP. Triple combination antiretroviral prophylaxis of needle stick exposure to HIV. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 18:161,1997.
5. Ramratnam B, Kelly G, Mega A, Schiffman FJ. (1997) Determinants of case selection at morning report. J Gen Intern Med 12: 263-6, 1996.
9. Ramratnam B, Tsoulfas G, Parikh A, Vigilante K, Flanigan TP. Former prisoners' views on mandatory HIV testing in prison. J Correctional Health Care 4:155-64, 1997.
4. Ramratnam B, Parameswaran J, Elliot B, Newstein M, Schiffman FJ, Rich JD, Flanigan TP. Short course dexamethasone for thrombocytopenia in AIDS. Amer J Med 100:117-8, 1996.
3. Flanigan, TP, Ramratnam B, Graeber C, Hellinger J, Smith D, Wheeler D, Hawley, P, Heath-Chiozzi M, Ward D, Brummitt C, Turner J. (1996) Prospective trial of paramomycin for cryptosporidiosis in AIDS. Amer J Med 100: 370-2, 1996.
2. Ramratnam B, Gollerkeri A, Martens P, Schiffman FJ, Parameswaran J. A study of cross coverage calls. J Gen Intern Med 11: 89, 1996.
1. Ramratnam B, Gollerkeri A, Schiffman FJ, Rintels P, Flanigan TP. Management of persistent B19 parvovirus infection in AIDS. Br J Haematol 91: 90-2, 1995.
Our focus is on defining the key cellular components that impact the replication of viruses such as HIV-1, herpes simplex virus (HSV) one and two, influenza, and hepatitis B/C. We use a variety of genetic and proteonomic techniques to identify host factors that impact viral replication, some of which may constitute novel targets for pharmacotherapy.
Our focus is on defining the key cellular components that impact the replication of viruses such as HIV-1, herpes simplex virus (HSV) one and two, influenza, and hepatitis B/C. We use a variety of genetic and proteonomic techniques to identify host factors that impact viral replication, some of which may constitute novel targets for pharmacotherapy. Our laboratory is using RNA interference as a molecular tool and we have completed the synthesis of RNAi libraries to allow for rapid screening of the "virus-host" interactome.
1RO1HD072693 Ramratnam (PI) 4/01/2012-2/28/2018
Reproductive Hormones and HIV-1 Acquisition
This R01 will investigate the role of reproductive hormones on HIV-1 acquisition.
Studies in HIV-1 pathogenesis and transmission
The award protects 50% of my time so I can mentor junior faculty in patient-oriented research.
COBRE Center for Cancer Research Development
CCRD will promote the expansion of basic cancer research by creating a supportive research environment that facilitates the transition of promising scientists into independent investigators.
5PO1AA019072 Monti (PI) 9/30/2010-6/31/2021
Alcohol and HIV: Bio behavioral Interactions and Intervention
Role: Co-Investigator. Director of Virology Core
This project provides core laboratory services to investigators to assist in HIV and alcohol centered investigations.
1U54GM115677 Padbury (PI) 7/01/2016–4/30/2021
RI-Center for Clinical and Translational Science
This award will bring together specialized clinical trials units, the ambulatory Clinical Research Center, as well as support to ongoing inpatient research across the academic hospitals. I serve as the PI of the Clinical Resources Core based at the Clinical Research Center.
1994 American College of Physicians Finalist, Abstract Competition, Rhode Island Chapter.
1994 American Federation for Clinical Research Trainee Investigator Award for Excellence in Clinical Research
1995 American College of Physicians Finalist, Abstract Competition, Rhode Island Chapter
1994-1997 American Federation for Clinical Research Trainee Investigator Award for Excellence in Clinical Research
1996 American College of Physicians Finalist, Abstract Competition, Rhode Island Chapter
2000-2002 Daland Fellowship in Clinical Investigation, the American Philosophical Society
2000-2005 National Institutes of Health, Career Development Award
2001-2006 Clinical Scientist Development Award, Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
2002 Charles Culpepper Biomedical Pilot Initiative, Rockefeller Brothers Fund
2003 Junior Physician Scientist Award, American Federation for Medical Research
2005 Independent Investigator Award, Centers of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) Center for Cancer Research Development, Rhode Island Hospital
2006 Bruce Selya Award for Research Excellence, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island
2007 Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
2003-present: Ad hoc reviewer of investigator initiated grants for:
Medical Research Council of South Africa (2005) NIH Microbicide Innovation Program (2006) NIH ADDT study section (2006,2007) Lifespan/Brown/Tufts CFAR pilot project applications (2005-present) Gene therapy programs, The Netherlands (2003-present) Health Research Board, Ireland (2007-present) NIH ZAl1-TP-M-J1: Cooperative Research Partnerships for Biodefense (2007) NIH ZAl1-TP-M-J2: Cooperative Research Partnerships for Biodefense (2007) NIH ZAL1 TJP-AJ11: HIV Vaccine Research and Design (HIVRAD) Program Review (2007-present) NIH ZAI1 MMT-M J2: Cooperative Research Partnership for Biodefense and Emerging Infectious Diseases SEP4 (2008) NIH ZAI1-RRS-A-J1; Special Emphasis Panel, Mechanisms and Prevention of sexual transmission of HIV/SIV (2010) NIH Special Emphasis Panel: Martin Delaney Collaboratory (2011) NIHZAI1-RB-A-J1; Special Emphasis Panel: Beyond HAART: Innovative Therapies to Control HIV-1 (2011) NIH Special Emphasis Panel: ZAI1-M-RWM NIAID Loan Repayment Program (2012) NIH Limited Competition - Women's Interagency HIV Study (WIHS-V) (U01) (2012) NIH ZRG1 AARR-K(04); Special Emphasis Panel (2012) Reviewer, ZAI1 BP-A (S1) Leadership Group for a Clinical Research Network on HIV/ AIDS & HIV-associated Infections in Pediatric & Maternal Populations (2013) Reviewer, ADDTAIDS Discovery and Development of Therapeutics Study Section (2013, 2014) Reviewer, ZRG1 ADDT-K (02) M (2013) Reviewer, ZAI1 MM-M (S1) 1 Loan Repayment Program (LRP) (2013) Reviewer, ZAI1 BP-A (S1) 1 Leadership Group for a Clinical Research Network on HIV/ AIDS & HIV-associated Infections in Pediatric & Maternal Populations (2013) 05 ZDA1 JXR-G (13) R Extracellular Vesicles in HIV/AIDS and Substance Abuse (R01, R21) (2015)
2004 Reviewer, World Health Organization (WHO) Guidelines for HIV Diagnosis and Monitoring of Antiretroviral Therapy
2000-present Referee for the Lancet, Journal of Infectious Diseases, Nucleic Acids Research, Journal of AIDS, Molecular Therapy