Akarli studied economics at Robert College (BA '68), southeast European history at University of Wisconsin (MA '72), and Middle East history at Princeton (MA '73, Ph.D. '76). He taught at Bosphorus University in Istanbul (1976-83), Yarmouk University in Jordan (1983-89), and Washington University in St. Louis (1989-96) before joining Brown. He held research fellowships at Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (1985-86), at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton (2003-04), and at the Islamic Legal Studies Program of Harvard Law School (2005-06). He taught courses in economic history of the world and the Middle East and wrote on Ottoman demographic, fiscal and political history earlier in his career. His later works explore the history of geographical Syria under Ottoman rule. His book on Ottoman Lebanon in 1860-1920 won the Best History Book Prize of the Missouri Historical Society. Currently, he works on themes related to the legal history of the region.
• "Law in the Marketplace, 1730-1840." In Dispensing Justice in Islam: Qadis and their Judgments, ed. by M. Khalid Masud, Rudolph Peters and David S. Powers (Leiden and Boston: Brill, 2006), pp. 245-270.
• "The Subordination of the Hawran Druze in 1910: The Ottoman Perspective." In The Druze: Realities and Perceptions, ed. by Kamal Salibi (London: The Druze heritage Foundation, 2005), pp. 115-128 (with Abdul-Rahim Abu-Husayn).
• "Gedik: A Bundle of Rights and Obligations for Istanbul Artisans and Traders, 1750-1840." In Law, Anthropology and the Constitution of the Social: Making Persons and Things, ed. by Alain Pottage and Martha Mundy (Cambridge University Press, 2004), pp. 166-200.
• "The Tangled Ends of an Empire and Its Sultan." In Modernity and Culture from the Mediterranean to the Indian Ocean, ed. by Leila Fawaz and Christopher Bailey (New York: Columbia University Press, 2002), pp. 261-284.
• "Rights and Conditions of Religious Communities in Ottoman Lands" [in Turkish]. In Osmanli Devleti'nde Din ve Vicdan Hürriyeti, ed. by Azmi Özcan (Istanbul: ÌSAV, 2000), pp. 27-40 & 369-374.
• "Making Peace with the Past" (in Turkish). In Bilanço, 1923-1998, ed. by Sevket Pamuk et al. (Istanbul: Tarih Vakfi and TÜBA, 1999), vol. 1, pp. 13-17.
• "Particularities of History." Armenian Forum 1/2 (Summer 1998): 53-64.
• "Ottoman Historiography." Middle East Studies Association Bulletin 30/1 (July 1996): 33-37.
• The Long Peace: Ottoman Lebanon, 1961-1920 (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1993).
• "Economic Policy and Budgets in Ottoman Turkey, 1876-1909." Middle Eastern Studies 28 (1992): 443-476.
• "Ottoman Attitudes Towards Lebanese Emigration, 1885-1910." In Lebanese and the World: A Century of Emigration, ed. by Albert Hourani and Nadim Shehadi (London: I.B. Tauris, 1992), pp. 109-138.
• Ottoman Documents on Jordan: Part 1: "The Ottoman Government and Semi-Nomadic Tribes in Northern Jordan, 1846-1851" [in Arabic], and Part 2: "Ottoman Criteria for the Choice of an Administrative Center, 1909-1910" [in English] (Amman: Publication of the University of Jordan, 1989).
• "Provincial Power Magnates in Ottoman Bilad al-Sham and Egypt, 1740-1840." In La vie sociale dans les provinces arabes à l'époque ottomane, ed. by A. Temimi (Zaghouan, Tunisia, 1988), vol. 3, pp. 41-56.
• "Conceptual Simplification Impairs Historical Analysis" (in Turkish). Toplum ve Bilim (Science and Society), 39 (1987): 129-146.
• "Establishment of the Ma'an-Karak Mutasarrifiyya, 1891-1894." Dirasat (Amman: The University of Jordan), 13 (1986): 27-42.
• "Friction and Discord within the Ottoman Government under Abdülhamid II (1876-1909)." In Bogaziçi University Journal-Humanities 7 (1979): 3-26.
• "Spatial Organization in 14th Century Syria: An Exercise in Historiography." Bo?aziçi University Journal-Humanities 6 (1978): 1-25.
• "The State as a Socio-Cultural Phenomenon in Turkey." In Political Participation in Turkey: Historical Background and Present Problems, ed. by E. D. Akarli (with Gabriel Ben-Dor) (Istanbul: Bosphorus University Press, 1975).
• "Religious and Regional Composition of Ottoman Population in Europe, 1864-1876" [in Turkish]. Belgelerle Türk Tarihi Dergisi 12 (1973): 50-53.
• "Ethnic and Religious Composition of 19th Century Ottoman Population in Europe" [in Turkish]. Belgelerle Türk Tarihi Dergisi 10 (1972): 17-22.
|1970||MA||University of Wisconsin at Madison|