Cogut Institute for the Humanities
The Cogut Institute for the Humanities at Brown University supports collaborative research among scholars in the humanities, focusing on interdisciplinary and comparative work across cultural and linguistic boundaries. Through its fellowship and grant programs, distinguished visitors program, and regularly scheduled events, the Cogut Institute strives to:
- Foster innovative work in the humanities and related disciplines.
- Sustain and nurture international perspectives at Brown in an era of increasing globalization.
- Explore the history and effects of the rapid growth of technologies of information and visualization.
- Examine the public role of the humanities in the context of recent challenges and pressures.
- Enrich relations between the humanities and the studio and performing arts.
- Investigate the re-emergence of pressing issues of ethics and aesthetics.
- Reinvigorate the concept of critique and the role of critical theory in the humanities.