Over the last two decades my research, teaching and public health practice has addressed effects of interactions of social and biologic experience and population health. Much of this work has been in the context of health of women in relation to HIV infection, structural and interpersonal violence, social inequalities, and mind-body dynamics, particularly in relation to spirituality and health.
Pearlman D, Zierler S, Meersman S, Kim HK, Viner-Brown S, Caron C. Race disparities in childhood asthma: Does where you live matter? JNMA. 98;239-247, 2006
Dore D, Zierler S.Over-Reliance on Patient Information Sheets, American Journal of Medicine, in press, 2006
Dore D., Zierler S.Over-Reliance on Patient Information Sheets; The Americal Journal of Medicine, in press, 2006.
Synergistic Effects in Children Amara E. Ezeamama, Stephen T. McGarvey, Luz P. Acosta, Sally Zierler, Daria L. Manalo, Hai-Wei Wu, Jonathan D. Kurtis, Vincent Mor, Remigio M. Olveda, Jennifer F. Friedman PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2008 June; 2(6): e245. Published online 2008 June 4. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0000245
Schuster, MA, Collins R, Cunningham, WE, Morton SC, Zierler S, Wong M, Tu W, Kanouse DE, Perceptions of Discrimination in Clinical Care in a National Sample of Adults Receiving HIV Care, J General Internal Medicine, in press, 2005.
JE. Allsworth*, ,S Zierler , K L. Lapane, N Krieger, JW Hogan, BL. Harlow, A longitudinal study of the inception of perimenopause in relation to lifetime history of sexual or physical violence, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, in press, 2005.
Pearlman D, Auerbach A, Zierler S, McGuire J. Prenatal HIV testing in relation to health care delivery system and race/ethnicity, in press, J Natl Med Association, 2005
A Gjelsvik*, S Zierler, J Blume. Homicide risk across race and class: A small-area analysis in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, 2004, in press, J Urban Health.
N Krieger, S Zierler, P Waterman, et al. Neighborhood Measures for Health Research. In: Neighborhoods and Health. Editors: I Kawachi and L Berkman, Oxford University Press, 2003.
Eisenman DP, Cunningham WE, Zierler S, Nakazono TT, Shapiro MF; HCSUS Consortium. Effect of violence on utilization of services and access to care in persons with HIV.J Gen Intern Med. 2003 Feb;18(2):125-7.
D Pearlman, S Zierler, A Gjelsvik*, W Verhoek-Oftedahl. Neighborhood and racial position in relation to domestic violence: A contextual analysis. Public Health Reports, Jan-Feb;118(1):44-58. 2003.
L Wise*, N Krieger, S Zierler, B Harlow. Lifetime Socioeconomic position in relation to onset of perimenopause. J Epidemiol Comm Hlth. 2002 Nov;56(11):851-60
W Jesdale*, S Zierler. Adolescent suicide rates and state-level civil rights protection of sexual minority status. J Gay and Lesbian Human Rights, vol. 6:61-69, 2002.
58. Zierler S. Violence and HIV: strategies for primary and secondary prevention. Focus. 2001 May;16(6):1-4.
56. L Wise*, S Zierler, N Krieger, B Harlow. Adult onset of major depressive disorder in relation to childhood and adolescent violence victimization. The Lancet, 2001 Sep 15;358(9285):881-7
J Rich-Edwards, N Krieger, J Majzoub, S Zierler, E Lieberman, M Gillman Maternal experiences of racism and violence as predictors of preterm birth: rationale and study design. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 2001.
55. J Allsworth* S Zierler, N Krieger, B Harlow. Ovarian function in late reproductive years in relation to lifetime experiences of sexual and physical abuse. Epidemiology. 2001 Nov;12(6):676-81
57. Krieger N, Waterman P, Lemieux K, Zierler S, Hogan JW. On the wrong side of the tracts? Evaluating the accuracy of geocoding in public health research.Am J Public Health. 2001 Jul;91(7):1114-6.
S Zierler, N Krieger. Social Inequalities and HIV infection in Women. In: AIDS: Lessons from the frontline. Kenneth Mayer (editor). APHA, 2000 (revision and update of reference 40).
52. S. Zierler, W. E. Cunningham, R. Andersen, M. F. Shapiro, S. A. Bozzette, T. Nakazono, S. C. Morton, S. Crystal, Michael Stein, B. Turner and P. A.S. Clair. Violence Victimizatin after HIV Infection in a U.S. Probability Sample of Persons in HIV Primary Care. AJPH;2000; 90:208-215.
49. W. E. Cunningham, R. M. Andersen, M. H. Katz, M. D. Stein, B. J. Turner, SCrystal, S. Zierler, K. Kuromiya, S. C. Morton, P. S. Clair, S. A. Bozzette, M. F. Shapiro and the HCSUS Consortium. The Impact of Competing Subsistence Needs and Barriers on Access to Medical Care for Persons with HIV Receiving Care in the United States. Med Care, 2000.
48. M. Stein, S. Crystal, W. E. Cunningham, A. Ananthanarayanan, R. M. Andersen, B. J. Turner, S. Zierler, S. Morton, M. H. Katz, S. A. Bozzette, M. F. Shapiro, M. A. Schuster and the HCSUS Consortium. Delays in Seeking HIV Care Due to Competing Caregiver Responsibilities. Amer J Pub Hlth 2000;90:1138-1140.
50. M. Katz, W. E. Cunningham, V. Mor, R. M. Andersen, T. Kellogg, S. Zierler, S. C. Crystal, M. D. Stein, K. Cylar, S. A. Bozzette and M. F. Shapiro. Prevalence and Predictors of Unmet Need for Supportive Services among HIV-infected Persons: Impact of Case Management. Med Care,2000.
A. Bozzette, T. Nakazono, Sally Morton, S. Crystal, P. S. Clair, M. Stein, S. Zierler and for the HCSUS Consortium. Delayed Medical Care after Diagnosis in a U.S. National Probability Sample of HIV-Infected Persons in Care. Arch Int Med. 2000.
53. S Zierler, N Krieger, Y Tang, W Coady, E Seigfried, A DeMaria, J Auerbach. Economic Deprivation in relation to AIDS Incidence in Massachusetts. Amer J Pub Hlth. 2000;90:1064-1073.
S Zierler. Activism and academia. In: Service Learning in Women's Studies. K Heffernan (editor). AAHE. Washington D.C. 2000.
46. Zierler S. Mayer K, Moore J, Stein M, Schoenbaum E, Schuman P, Rompalo A. Sexual practices in a cohort of HIV positive and negative US women. JAMWA. 1999
47. De Groot AS, Stevens J, Leibel S, Pratt L, Zierler S. Setting the standard for care: HIV risk exposures and clinical manifestations of HIV in incarcerated Massachusetts women. New England J Criminal Civil Confinement. 1998;24:353-83.
44. M Klebanoff, BS Zemel, S Buka, S Zierler. Long term follow-up of participants in the collaborative perinatal project: Tracking the next generation. J Perinatal Epidemiology. 1998.
43. D Vlahov, D Wientge, J Moore, C Flynn, P Schuman, E Schoenbaum, S Zierler. Violence against women with or at risk for HIV infection. AIDS and Behavior 1998;2:53-60.
45. Zierler S. Efficacy versus impact of HIV therapy. Editorial. Epidemiology, 9:590-3, 1998.
42. G O'Brien*, MD Stein, S Zierler, M Shapiro, P O'Sullican, R Woolard. Persons who use the emergency department as their regular source of care: Associated factors beyond the lack of health insurance. Annals of Emergency Med 1997; 30:286-291.
41. JY Kim*, J Rich, S Zierler, K Lourie, K Vigilante, L Normandie, M Snead, J Renzi, D Bury-Maynard, P Loberti, R Richman, TP Flanigan. Successful community follow-up and reduced recidivism in HIV positive women prisoners. Journal of Correctional Health, 1997.
39. S Zierler and N Krieger. Reframing women's risk: Social inequalities and HIV infection. Annual Reviews of Public Health. 18:401-36,1997.
38. J Moore, D Warren, S Zierler, P Schuman, L Solomon, E Schoenbaum, M Kennedy. Characteristics of HIV infected lesbians and bisexual women in four urban centers. Women's Health: Research on Gender, Behavior, and Policy. 2: 49-60, 1997.
40. N Krieger and S Zierler. The need for epidemiologic theory. Epidemiology. 8:22-214, March, 1997.
S Zierler. Hitting hard: HIV and violence. In: Gender Politics of HIV. J Manlowe and NGoldstein, editors. NYU Press. 1997
37. S Zierler, B Witbeck, K Mayer. Sexual violence, women and HIV infection. Amer JPrev Med. 12:304-10, 1996
36. N Krieger and S Zierler. Accounting for Health of Women. Current Issues in Public Health 1: 251-256, 1996. Also reprinted in: Radical Community Medicine. 7, 1997
34. AS De Groot, S Zierler, J Stevens, D Dean, G Cram, E Andujar, J Baggett, C Johnsen, T Flanigan, Rochelle G. Sheib. HIV Risk Behaviors and Clinical Manifestations of HIV in Incarcerated Women in Massachusetts. J Women's Health, 1996
32. N Krieger, S Zierler. What explains the public's health?-A call for epidemiologic theory. Epidemiology 7: 107-109, 1996.
35. EP Larrat*, S Zierler, K Mayer. Cocaine use and HIV disease progression among heterosexuals. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 5:229-236, 1996
S Zierler. Care of the lesbian and gay patient. In: Practical Guide to Ambulatory Care. Mosby Publishers. St. Louis. T Wachtel and M Stein, Eds., 1995, 2nd edition 1999.
33. J Stevens*, S Zierler, D Deane, A Goodman, B Chalfen, A De Groot. Prevalence of prior sexual abuse and HIV risk-taking behavior in incarcerated women in Massachusetts. J Correctional Health Care 2: 137-149, 1995.
31. K Lapane*, S Zierler, T Lasater, M Stein, M Barbour, A Hume. Is a history of depression associated with an increased risk of infertility in women? Psychosomatic Medicine. 57:509-513 1995.
29. L Norton, J Peipert, S Zierler, B Lima, L Hume. Battering in Pregnancy: An Assessment of Two Screening Methods. Obst. Gyn. 85: 321-5, 1995.
30. K Lapane*, S Zierler, T Lasater, M Barbour, R Carleton, A Hume. Is the use of psychotropic drugs associated with increased risk of ischemic heart disease? Epidemiology 6:376-81, 1995.
S Zierler. Domestic violence. In: Practical Guide to Ambulatory Care. Mosby Publishers. St. Louis. T Wachtel and M Stein, Eds., 1995,2nd edition 1999.
28. S Zierler. Women, Sex and HIV. Editorial. Epidemiology. 5:565-7, 1994.
27. P Larrat*, S Zierler, K Mayer. Cocaine use and heterosexual exposure to HIV. Epidemiology, 5:398-403; 1994.
26. P Larrat*, S Zierler, K Mayer. Cocaine and HIV: A relational model. J Addiction, Sept. 1993.
23. A Aschengrau, S Zierler, A Cohen. Quality of community drinking water and the risk of late adverse pregnancy outcomes. Arch Environ Health. 1993.
25. S Zierler. Drinking water and reproductive health. Epidemiology, 3:77-78. 1992.
24. JD Piette*, O Intrator, S Zierler, V Mor, M Stein. An exploratory analysis of survival with AIDS using a nonparametric tree-structured approach. Epidemiology, 3:2310-18, 1992.
L Newman and S Zierler. Acceptability of HIV Behavioral Interventions: Ethnographic and Epidemiologic Approaches. Research Issues in Human Behavior and Sexually Transmitted Diseases in the AIDS Era. Edited by JN Wasserheit. ,1991.
22. S Zierler, L Feingold, D Laufer, P Velentgas, I Kantrowitz-Gordon, K Mayer. Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse and subsequent risk of HIV infection. Am J Pub Hlth, 81: 572-575. 1991.
21. S Zierler, D Laufer, L Feingold, I Kantrowitz, K Mayer. Heterosexual HIV infection in Rhode Island: The New England Behavioral Health Study R.I. Medical J ,73:285-92, 1990.
20. P Velentgas*, C Bynum*, S Zierler. The buddy volunteer commitment in AIDS care. Amer J Pub Hlth, 80:1378-80, 1990.
18. CL Brosius, JW Newburger, JC Burns, P Hojanowski-Diaz, S Zierler, DYM Leung. Increased prevalence of atopic dermatitis in Kawasaki Disease. J Ped Infect Dis. 1990
Zierler S. Methodologic issues in epidemiologic studies of drug teratogens.In Reproductive and Perinatal Epidemiology, M. Kiely, editor, CRC Press, November, 1990.
19. A Aschengrau, S Zierler, A Cohen. Quality of community drinking water and the risk of spontaneous abortion. Arch Environ Hlth 1989; 44:283-290.
17. S Zierler, L Feingold, RA Danley, G Craun. A case-control study of bladder cancer in Massachusetts among populations receiving chlorinated and chloraminated drinking water. Arch Environ Health,43:195-200, 1988.
15. S Zierler. Causes of retinopathy of prematurity: An epidemiologic perspective. In: Retinopathy of Prematurity: Problem and Challenge, March of Dimes Birth Defects Original Article Series, 1988.
14. S Zierler, M Theodore, A Cohen, KJ Rothman. Quality of maternal drinking water and congenital heart disease. International J of Epidemiology. 17:589-94, 1988 .
Proceedings of the Sixth Conference on Water Chlorination, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1987.
13. WP Kanto, R Wilson, GL Breart, S Zierler, DM Purohit, GJ Peckham, RC Ellison. Perinatal events and necrotizing enterocolitis in premature infants. Amer J Dis Children, 141:167-9, 1987.
12. MD Cunningham, RC Ellison, S Zierler, WP Kanto, OS Miettinen, AS Nadas. Perinatal Risk Assessment for Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Premature Infants. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 68:41-44, 1986
9. S Zierler, D Purohit. Prenatal antihistamine and retrolental fibroplasia. American J Epidemiology 123:192-196, 1986.
8. E Walsh, RC Ellison, S Zierler, OS Miettinen. ECG findings at one year follow-up of very low birthweight babies. Pediatrics 77:353-356, 1986.
10. S Zierler, KJ Rothman. Maternal use of BendectinR and other drugs in early pregnancy and congenital heart disease. New Eng J Med 313:347-52, 1985.
7. D Purohit, RC Ellison, S Zierler, OS Miettinen, AS Nadas. Non-oxygen determinants of retrolental fibroplasia. Pediatrics September, 1985.
4. S Zierler. Maternal drugs and congenital heart disease. Obstetrics and Gynecology 65:155-165, 1985.
11. S Zierler, RA Danley, L Feingold. Chlorination in drinking water and cancer mortality. Proceedings of the US Environmental Protection Agency, Symposium on Health Effects of Water Disinfectants, August 27-29, 1985. in Environmental Health Perspectives, November, 1986.
6. G Peckham, RC Ellison, OS Miettinen, E Kraybill, Gersony, S Zierler, AS Nadas. Clinical course to one year of age of premature infants with patent ductus arteriosus: Results of a multicenter randomized trial of Indomethacin. J Pediatrics 105:285-91, 1984.
5. H. Wagner, RC Ellison, S Zierler, P Lang, DM Purohit, et al. Surgical closure of patent ductus arteriosus in 268 preterm infants. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery 87:870-876, June, 1984.
3. RS Stern, S Zierler, JA Parrish. Methotrexate used for psoriasis and the risk of noncutaneous or cutaneous malignancy. Cancer 50:869-872, 1982.
2. RS Stern, S Zierler, JA Parrish. Psoriasis and the risk of cancer. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 78:147-149, 1982.
1. RS Stern, S Zierler, JA Parrish. Skin carcinoma in patients with psoriasis treated with tropical tar and artificial ultraviolet radiation. Lancet i: 732-735, 1980.