Kyung-Suk Kim is currently a Professor of Engineering and a member of Solids and Structures Group at Brown University, directing the Scale Bridging Mechanics, Nano and Micromechanics Research. Professor Kim has played a central role in studying scale-bridging mechanics in broad-scale phenomena as well as the mechanical behavior of nanostructures by developing creative theories and conducting precision experiments.
Professor Kim has worked as an engineering scientist, inventor, and educator to contribute to a rapidly evolving society. His research interests are interdisciplinary - solid mechanics of scale bridging, and nano- & micro-mechanics of solids in both experiment and theoretical modeling. Through his research, he has invented numerous new scientific instruments and analytical methods, and he has recently initiated “ruga mechanics” as a new thrust in applied mechanics research. As an educator, he has developed several innovative laboratory course materials, including “Bow and arrow dynamics,” “Wheel and suspension dynamics,” and “Violin and bell dynamics” laboratory course materials. So far, he has advised more than 40 Ph.D. students and Post Docs who are currently in academia or industries. He served as the representative of the Society of Engineering Science to the US National Committee for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.
Research Contracts and Grants at UIUC 1980-89:
Caterpillar Excellence Fund (1981), Dynamic Fracture.
Research Board, Univ. Ill. (1981 -85), Dynamic Fracture.
IBM I, II, III and IV (1984-89), Electronic Packaging.
ONR (1987-89), Thin Film Mechanics.
DOE (1987-89), Mechanics of Brazing
Research Contracts and Grants at Brown University since 1989:
Start Up Fund, Brown University: July 1, 1989 -June 30, 1990.
Materials Research Group, Brown: July 1, 1989 -June 30, 1990.
ONR: Experimental Mechanics of Thin Films and Interfaces, Nov. 15, 1989-Dec. 31, 1992.
DoE: Analytical and Experimental Evaluation of Joining Silicon Nitride to Metal for Heat Engine Applications, May 1, 1990-April 30, 1992.
NSF: MSS-9017933, Fundamentals of Embedded Optical Fibers in Structural Concrete, 11/15/90-2/28/93.
NSF-MRG: Micro-Mechanics of Failure-Resistant Materials, Jan. 1, 1989-Dec. 30, 1992.
ONR: Experimental Mechanics of Thin Films and Interfaces, 1/1/93-12/31/95.
NSF: MRG/DMR-93, Micro-and Nano-Mechanics of Failure Resistant Materials, 9/1/93-8/31/96.
NSF: ESC-9202961, Optical Fiber Sensors for In-Situ Temperature and Strain Measurements in Composite Materials, with T. F. Morse and B. Sheldon, 9/15/92-9/14/94.
NSF: Electon Beam Lithography of Fine Surface Structures with SEM, with A. Nurmikko and J. R. Beresford, 1992-94.
ARO: DAAL03-92-G-0107, Dynamic Behavior of Brittle Materials, 8/1/92-7/31/98.
NSF: Materials Research Science and Engineering Center for Micro-and Nano-Mechanics of Materials, 9/1/96-8/31/2001.
Ford: Micromechanics of fatigue in Aluminum, 12/1/97-11/31/00.
IMRE: Micromechanics of thin films, with A. Bower and L.B. Freund, 7/1/97-6/31/98.
NSF: 9909165, Workshop on Nano and Micromechanics of Solids for Emerging Science and Technology, 10/1/1999-3/31/2001.
NSF: 0070057, Measurement of microscopic residual stress based on the evolution of surface roughness during shallow chemical etching, 4/1/00-5/31/04.
NSF MRSEC: Micro- and Nano-Mechanics of Electronic and Structural Materials, 9/1/00-8/31/05.
GM: Thrust Leader, Nanocrystalline Material Tribology, GM/Brown CSL, 2001-06.
NIH: PFM equipment, with Dr. G. Jay, 2001-04.
NSF: Measurement of microscopic residual stress based on the evolution of surface roughness during shallow chemical etching, 2000-04.
Hyundai Motors: Research in general area of thermal stresses and strength of solids, 2002-06.
NSF MRSEC: Nano and micro mechanics of solid interfaces, 2001-05.
GM/Brown CRL: nano-crystalline material tribology thrust leader; nano and micro tribology, 2001-06.
NSF-MRI: A Nanoindenter System to Strengthen Brown's Experimental Capabilities in Mechanics and Physics of Materials from Nano to Geological Scales with P.R. Guduru (Solid Mechanics), B.W. Sheldon (Materials Science), R.F. Cooper (Geological Sciences), G. D. Jay (Biology and Medicine), 2004.
NSF: 0511961, Nano-mechanics of solid surface suspension and imprinting, 9/1/05-8/31/08.
NSF MRSEC: 0520651, Nano and micro mechanics of solid interfaces, 10/1/05-7/31/14.
GM/Brown CRL: Nano-crystalline material tribology thrust leader; nano and micro tribology, 2005-10.
NUS: Nano and micromechanics of CNT, 2007-08.
KIST: Scientific Computing and Modeling, 2007-13.
KIMM: AFM Interferometry & Nano and micromechanics for disaster mitigation, 2009-12.
NSF: 1000822, GOALI: Stress Evolution and Related Phenomena in Composite Electrodes for Li Ion Batteries, with B.W. Sheldon, et al. 6/1/2010-5/31/2014.
NSF: 1102432, Workshop: New Frontiers of Solid Mechanics-from Earthquakes to Single Molecules, with H. Gao, 10/1/11-5/31/12.
GM/Brown CRL: Battery Mechanics, 2010-15.
IMNI: Ruga mechanics of 2D materials, 2014-15.
Macrogen: Graphene crinkles for DNA sequencing, 2014-16.
NSF: 1462785, Discovery of Nanoscale Folding Properties of Atomically Layered Materials, 7/1/15-6/31/18.
NSF: 1563591, Fundamental Study of Friction with Hierarchically Ruga-controlled Surfaces, 3/1/16 – 2/28/19.
ONR: N00014-18-1-2513, Toward Understanding the Dynamic Response of Materials under Extreme Loading Conditions, co-PI, 7/1/18-6/30/21.
NSF: 1934314, The Search for Noble Multifunctional-Nanocrystal Architectures, PI, 9/1/19- 8/31/22.
131. Zhaoxia Rao, Hanxun Jin, Alison Engwall, Eric Chason, Kyung-Suk Kim, "Determination of stresses in incrementally-deposited films from wafer-curvature measurements,"J. Appl. Mech. online JAM-20-1179, doi.org/10.1115/1.4047572, 2020.
130. R. M. McMeeking, M. Ciavarella, G. Cricrì, K.-S. Kim, "The Interaction of Frictional Slip and Adhesion for a Stiff Sphere on a Compliant Substrate," J. Appl. Mech. 87(3): 031016, doi.org/10.1115/1.4045794, 2020.
* K.-S. Kim, "Architecture of Multifunctional Nanostructures," Tufts ME Colloquium, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts, February 13, 2020.
* K.-S. Kim, "Lattice moire characteristics and electromechanical properties of multilayer graphene (Invited)", Symposium MS02.05.01: MRS 2019, 12/03/2019
* M. Kothari, K.-S. Kim, "Graphene Crinkles and Their Potential for Soft-Composites (IMECE Paper # -13536)", ASME 2019 IMECE ECE, 11/13/2019
* K.-S. Kim, "Pressure- and rate-dependent plastic flow of nano-phase segregated polyurea copolymer (IMECE Paper # -13559)", Drucker Medal Symposium, ASME 2019 IMECE, 11/12/2019
* K.-S. Kim, "Digital Image Correlation at a Small World of Nano Science and Technology (Plenary)", iDICs 2019 Annual Conference, 10/16/2019
* K.-S. Kim, R. Li, M. Kothari, M.-H. Cha, O. Chen, V.Lefevre, "Ruga Mechanics of Graphene Crinkles for Molecule/Nanoparticle Self-Assembly", Prager Medal Symposium, Society of Engineering Science, 10/15/2019
* M. Kothari, M.-H. Cha, K.-S. Kim, V. Lefevre, "Asymptotic Models of Curvature Localization in Multi-Layer Graphene", 56th Annual Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science, 10/15/2019
* K.-S. Kim, M. Kothari, H. Jin, R. Zhao, "Singularity-Growth-Instability and Symmetry-Breaking Characteristics of Crease (Keynote)", 56th Annual Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science, 10/14/2019
* K.-S. Kim, H. Jin, R. Brown, T. Jiao, R.J. Clifton, "Study of Dynamic Nano-Phase Toughening in a Copolymer, the Polyurea (Keynote)", 56th Annual Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science, 10/13/2019
* K.-S. Kim, "Scale Effects in Friction at Broad Scales: Roughness Scaling Experiment", Symposium on The Applications of Mechanics to Geophysics, UCSD, La Jolla CA, June 25, 2019.
* K.-S. Kim, "Deformation and Failure under Extreme Shock-Wave Propagation (Revisit on Phase-Transformation- Induced Failure)", Caltech, Pasadena CA, June 7, 2019.
* K.-S. Kim, "Pushing the Boundaries of Experimental Mechanics at a Small World (Moire Interferometry & Moire Spectroscopy)", William M. Murray Lecture, Society for Experimental Mechanics 2019 Annual Conference, 06/04/2019
* K.-S. Kim, "Critical Ruga Structures for Molecular Self-Assembly and Adhesion/Friction Control in Soft Materials," Invited Seminar, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, February 7, 2019.
129. M. Kothari, M. H. Cha, V. Lafevre and K.-S. Kim, "Critical curvature localization in graphene. II. Nonlocal flexoelectricity-dielectricity coupling, Proceedings of the Royal Society A. Vol. 475, Issue 2221. doi: 10.1098/rspa.2018.0671, 2019. (Press Release), (NSF News).
128. M. Kothari, M. H. Cha and K.-S. Kim, "Critical curvature localization in graphene. I. Quantum- flexoelectricity effect," Proceedings of the Royal Society A. Vol. 474, Issue 2214. doi: 10.1098/rspa.2018.0054, 2018. (Press Release). (NSF News).
127. R. Li, M. Kothari, A. Landauer, M. Cha, H. Kwon, & K.-S. Kim, "A New Subcritical Nanostructure of Graphene—Crinkle-Ruga Structure and Its Novel Properties," MRS Advances, Vol. 3, Issue 45-46, pp 2763-2769. doi:10.1557/adv.2018.432, 2018.
* K.-S. Kim, "Two Useful Subcritical Ruga Structures in Soft or 2D Materials: Crease & Crinkle," Invited Tallk, Knauss 85th, Caltech, Pasadena, California, December 21, 2018.
* K.-S. Kim, "Study of molecular self-assembly with graphene ruga structures and AFM interferometry," Invited Seminar, Purdue Univeristy, WestnLafayette, Indiana, October 4, 2018.
* K.-S. Kim, "Hidden, forbidden and inherited spectrum of roughness caused by multilayer deformation instabilities near a free surface," CECAM Workshop: Emergence of surface and interface structure from friction, fracture and deformation, Invited Lecture, Lausanne, Switzerland, July, 2018.
* K.-S. Kim, "Critical curvature localization in graphene used for molecular informatics: The graphene moleculography," Invited Seminar, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France, March, 2018.
* K.-S. Kim, "Graphene Atomic-lattice Interferometry for Molecular Bio-Informatics: The Graphene Moleculography," Invited Seminar, Univeristy of Houston, Houston, Texas, March, 2018.
126. K.-S. Kim, "Nanoscale Fracture and Rupture Properties of Graphene," Prodeedings of ICFXIV, vol2, pp. 1212-1213, June, 2017.
* K.-S. Kim, "Wonders of graphene crinkle as novel bio-molecular zipper for 'from genomics to phonemics'," Invites Seminar, UCSD, October, 2017.
* K.-S. Kim, "Nanoscale fracture and rupture properties of graphene: Five wonders in mechanics of graphene," Proceedings of the International Conference on Fracture 14, Keynote Lecture, Rhodes, Greece, June, 2017.
* K.-S. Kim, “Electro-Mechanical Instability of Layered Nanostructures,” Workshop on Mechanics in Scientific Discovery, Invited Talk, Florence, Italy, June 9, 2017.
* K.-S. Kim, “The Advancement of Ruga Mechanics and Its Applications in Molecular Engineering,” Extended Abstract, Drucker Medal Acceptance Talk, ASME-IMECE, November, 2016.
* M. Diab, J. Torres, M. Monn, R. Zhao, K.-S. Kim, “Hidden, forbidden and inherited spectra of hierarchical wrinkles of a soft material surface,” Invited Talk, Proceedings of the 53rd Society of Engineering Science, D7-1, October, 2016.
* R. Zhao, M. Diab, K.-S. Kim, “A Mechanics Study on Surface Ruga Morphologies of Soft Materials,” Proceedings of the 53rd Society of Engineering Science, D14-1, October, 2016.
* K.-S. Kim, “Renormalization scaling of friction and fracture with hierarchical multiscale mechanisms,” Proceedings of the 53rd Society of Engineering Science, D9-3, October, 2016.
* B. Jang, J. Kim, H. Lee, K-S. Kim, C-K. Wang, "Instrument and method for atomic resolution measurement of deformation," Patent (Korea) 10-1633648, issued 06/21/2016.
* K.-S. Kim, "Molecular engineering with graphene-ruga structures at the bottom: atomic lattice Interferometry (ALI) ," Invited Seminar, MMEC Seminar, MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts, April 5, 2016.
122. Hyun-Gyu Kim, Jin Woo Yi, Seong-Woong Kim, Kyung-Suk Kim and Sharvan Kumar, "Fracture toughness of free-standing nanocrystalline copper-chromium composite thin films," Acta Materialia, vol. 84, pp 95–109, 2015.
120. Jong Hyun Jung, Jaehyun Bae, Myoung-Woon Moon, Kyung-Suk Kim, Jisoon Ihm, "Numerical study on sequential period-doubling bifurcations of graphene wrinkles on a soft substrate," Solid State Communications, vol 222, pp 14-17, 2015.
* K.-S. Kim, "Atomic force microscope interferometry (AFMI) for studies of 2D materials," Drucker Medal Symposium, ASME, Houston, TX, 11/15/2015.
* K.-S. Kim, M.-H. Cha, H. Kwon, J. Seo,"Molecular self-assembly with crinkle-ruga structures in multilayer graphene," Proceedings of ANNIC, Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology Syposium, November, 2015.
* A. Landauer, I. Newton, C. Franck, K.S. Kim, "Experimental validation of ruga-phase diagram for primary bilayer systems," Proceedings of the 52nd Society of Engineering Science, October, 2015.
* K.-S. Kim, "Study on deformation-crinkle properties of multilayer graphene," Proceedings of the 52nd Society of Engineering Science, Prager Medal Symposium, College Station, TX, 10/27/2015.
* K.-S. Kim, “Mechanics of hierarchically rough surfaces: scale dependence in ruga mechanics and friction,” Symposium on The Application of Mechanics to Geophysics supported by the National Science Foundation & the Green Foundation, UCSD, La Jolla, CA, 01/17-18/2015.
* U.S.Pat-9,003,561, BK Jang, J Kim, HJ Lee, K Kim, C Wang, “Device and method for measuring distribution of atomic resolution deformation,” United States Patent, Patent Number 9,003,561: issued on April 7, 2015.
119. Mazen Diab and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Ruga-formation instabilities of a graded stiffness boundary layer in a neo-Hookean solid,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 470 (2168), doi:10.1098/rspa.2014.0218, Aug 2014. (press release). (News)
118. Sk. F. Ahmed, So Nagashima, Ji Yeong Lee, Kwang-Ryeol Lee, Kyung-Suk Kim and Myoung-Woon Moon, “Self-assembled folding of a biaxially compressed film on a compliant substrate,” Carbon, vol. 76, pp 105-112, 2014.
115. Teng Zhang, Zuoqi Zhang, Kyung-Suk Kim and Huajian Gao, “An accordion model integrating self-cleaning, strong attachment and easy detachment functionalities of gecko adhesion,” Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology, vol. 28(3-4), pp. 226-239, 2014.
* K.-S. Kim, “Scale-bridging experiments and field projections for failure analysis of nanocrystalline materials,” – Bridging Scales in Heterogeneous Materials – MRS Proceedings, Boston, MA, Dec. 3, 2014.
* K.-S. Kim, “Nonlinear inverse analyses of buckling and fracture in nano structured thin films,” AmeriMech 2014, Austin, Texas, Dec. 12, 2014.
* K.-S. Kim, “Characterization of Interfacial Sliding Properties at Amorphous Si/Cu Interface due to Li-ion Intercalation by Using Self-Adjusting Liquid Linnik Interferometer,” – Fracture and Failure in Bio- Nano- and Energy Systems – Proceedings of the 17th U.S. National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, June 16, 2014.
* K.-S. Kim, “Nonlinear Field Projection Method in Nanoscale Structures and Materials,” Lallit Anand 65’th Birthday Symposium, Proceedings of the 17th U.S. National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, June 16, 2014.
* K.-S. Kim, “Cascade instabilities of ruga formation in soft-material boundary layers,” IAS 2014, Cachan, France, June 6, 2014.
* K.-S. Kim, “Dislocation Emission at Grain Boundaries Studied by Nonlinear Field Projection,” Symposium on New Developments in Defects Mechanics (NSF Workshop), La Jolla, CA, January 18-19, 2014
113. Mazen Diab, Teng Zhang, Ruike Zhao, Huajian Gao and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Ruga mechanics of creasing: from instantaneous to setback creases,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 469(2157), pp. 1-17, Sep 2013. (press release)
* K.-S. Kim, “Ruga Mechanics of Crinkles: Search for New Multi-functional Materials”, Invited talk for Knauss 80th birthday symposium, Caltech, Pasadena, CA, 12/10/2013.
* K.-S. Kim, “Science and Technology in New Bridging Era: Engineering of Self-organized Emergence”, DGIF, Plenary Lecture, Daegu, Korea, 11/22/2013.
* K.-S. Kim, “Role of interferometry in mechanics: From optical to atomic lattice interferometry”, for M Ferst Awrad ceremony for R. J. Clifton, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA,10/25/2013.
112. K.-S. Kim, “Ruga Mechanics and Ruga-Phase Diagrams,” the symposium in honor of Prof. Rod Clifton on the occasion of his 75th Birthday in SES 50th Annual Technical Meeting, Providence, RI, 7/29/13.
* K.-S. Kim, “Search for New Materials with Ruga Mechanics”, BIRS Workshop on mathematics and mechanics in the search for new materials, Banff Research Station, Canada, 7/18/2013.
* K.-S. Kim, “Surface Instabilities of neo-Hookean solids and Ruga Mechanics,” at the International Symposium on New Horizons in Materials Mechanics in celebration of the 70th birthday of Professor Viggo Tvergaard, at Lyngby, Denmark, 6/07/2013
* K.-S. Kim, “Ruga Mechanics of Neo-Hookean Solids with Stratified Elastic Moduli”, Continuum Mechanics of Solids and Fluids: A Symposium in Honor of Roger Fosdick, PACAM XIII, Houston TX, 5/23/2013.
* K.-S. Kim, “Bio-Mimicking of Extreme-Property Hybrid Structures: Ruga Mechanics” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Nature-inspired Technology 2013 (ISNIT 2013), Plenary Lecture, Gangwon-do, Korea, 01/08/2013.
110. H.-G. Kim, H. B. Chew and K.-S. Kim, "Inverse extraction of cohesive zone laws by field projection method using numerical auxiliary fields," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 91(5), pp. 516-530, Aug 2012.
109. Sang-Pil Kim, Huck Beng Chew, Eric Chason, Vivek B. Shenoy and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Nanoscale mechanisms of surface stress & morphology evolution in FCC metals under noble-gas ion bombardments,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 8(2145), pp. 2550-2573, Sep 2012. (press release)
108. Jeong-Yun Sun, Shuman Xia, Myoung-Woon Moon, Kyu Hwan Oh and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Folding wrinkles of a thin film stiff layer on a soft substrate,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 468(2140), pp. 932-953, 2012. (press release)
107. Z. Zhang, Y. W. Zhang, T. Zhang, K.-S. Kim and H. Gao., “Strain-controlled switching of hierarchically wrinkled surfaces between superhydrophobicity and superhydrophilicity,” Langmuir, vol. 28(5), pp. 2753-2760, 2012.
106. H. B. Chew, M.-W. Moon, K. R. Lee and K.-S. Kim, “Compressive dynamic scission of carbon nanotubes under sonication: fracture by atomic ejection,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A, vol. 467(2129), pp. 1270-1289, 2011. (press release)
104. Q.G. Wang, M. Praud, A. Needleman, K.-S. Kim, J.R. Griffiths, C.J. Davidson, C.H. Cáceres and A.A. Benzerga, “Size Effects in Aluminium Alloy Castings,” Acta Materialia, vol. 58(8), pp. 3006-3013, 2010.
102. Yudi Rahmawan, Myoung-Woon Moon, Kyung-Suk Kim, Kwang-Ryeol Lee, and Kahp-Yang Suh, “Wrinkled, Dual-Scale Structures of Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) for Superhydrophobicity,” Langmuir,vol. 26(1), pp. 484-491, 2010.
100. Huck Beng Chew, Soonsung Hong and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Cohesive zone laws for void growth - II. Numerical field projection of elasto-plastic fracture processes with vapor pressure,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 57(8), pp. 1374-1390, 2009.
99. Soonsung Hong, Huck Beng Chew and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Cohesive zone laws for void growth - I. Experimental field projection of crack-tip crazing in glassy polymers,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol. 57(8), pp. 1357-1373, 2009.
98. D. K. Ward, D. Farkas, J. Lian, W. A. Curtin, J. Wang, K.-S. Kim, and Y. Qi, “Engineering size-scaling of plastic deformation in nanoscale asperities,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 16(24), pp. 9580-9585, 2009.
U.S.Pat-7,543,791. Kyung-Suk Kim and Allan Rydberg, “Tunable inverse pendulum vibration isolation system,” United States Patent, Patent Number 7,543,791: issued on June 9, 2009.
97. Shuman Xia, Yue Qi, Tom Perry and Kyung-Suk Kim, “Strength characterization of Al/Si interfaces: A hybrid method of nanoindentation and finite element analysis,” Acta Materialia. Vol. 57(3), pp. 695-707, 2009.
96. Nicola L, Bower AF, Kim K.-S., et al. Multi-asperity contact: A comparison between discrete dislocation and crystal plasticity predictions, Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 88, Issue: 30-32, pp. 3713-3729, 2008.
95. Gao YF, Yu HH, Kim K.-S. , “Micro-plasticity of surface steps under adhesive contact: Part II - Multiple-dislocation mediated contact hardening,” Journal of The Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 56 Issue: 9 pp. 2759-2772, 2008.
94. Lou J, Kim K.-S., “Effects of interfaces on nano-friction of vertically aligned multi-walled carbon nanotube arrays,” Materials Science and Engineering A-Structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing Vol. 483, Sp. Iss. SI, pp. 664-667, 2008.
93. Li QY, Kim K.-S., “Micromechanics of friction: effects of nanometre-scale roughness,” Proceedings of the Royal Society A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol. 464, Issue 2093, pp 1319-1343, 2008.
92. Jay GD, Torres JR, Rhee DK, Helminen HJ, Hytinnen MM, Cha CJ, Elsaid K, Kim KS, Cui YJ, Warman ML; “Association between friction and wear in diarthrodial joints lacking lubricin”, Arthritis and Rheumatism, 56 (11): 3662-3669, 2007. (Posted on the front page of the Brown home page.)
91. Youngseok Oh, Jaeboong Choi, Youngjin Kim, Kyungsuk Kim, Seunghyun Baik, The effects of ball milling process on the diameter dependent fracture of single walled carbon nanotubes, Scripta Materialia 56 (2007) 741–744.
90. Yu, H.H., Shrotriya, P., Gao, Y.F., Kim, K.-S., “Micro-plasticity of surface steps under adhesive contact. Part I. Surface yielding controlled by single-dislocation nucleation”, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 55, 489-516, 2007.
89. Nicola, L., Bower, A.F., Kim, K-S., Needleman, A. Van der Giessen, E., Surface versus bulk nucleation of dislocations during contact. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 55 (6): 1120-1144, 2007.
88. Burke, Brian C.P., Kim, Saeja Oh, Kim, Kyung-Suk, Partial polar decomposition inverse method applied to determination of internal stresses in an elastic complex structure. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 44 (6): 2010-2020, 2007.
87. Choi, S. T. and Kim, K.-S. “Nano-scale planar field projection of atomic decohesion and slip in crystalline solids, Part I: Formulation for a crack-tip cohesive zone,” Philosophical Magazine, 87 (12): 1889-1919 2007.
86. Kyung-Suk Kim, Nano and Micromechanics of Solid Surface Suspension, NANOMEC06 Symposium on Materials Science & Materials Mechanics at the Nanoscale, Politecnico di Bari, Bari, Italy, 19-23 November 2006.
85. Kim, Kyung-Suk, Nano and Micromechanical Measurement of Interaction Forces Between Solid Surfaces. Key Engineering Materials 326, 1-4, 2006.
84. Park,K.H., Choi, B.L., Lee, K.W., Kim, K.-S., Earmme, Y.Y., “Modeling and Design of Exhaust Manifold Under Thermomechanical Loading, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D; Journal of Automobile Engineering, 220(D12), 1755-1764, 2006.
80. Wang, J., Shrotriya, P., Kim, K.-S., Surface Residual Stress Measurement using Curvature Interferometry. Experimental Mechanics 46 ( 1 ), 39–46, 2006.
79. Torres, J R; Jay, G D; Warman, M L; Kim, K.-S., “Scale Bridging Model of Adhesive Force Reduction and Molecular Aggregation on Contacts Coated by Lubricin,” Orthopedic Research Society Tansactions, Vol. 30, 0898, 2005.
78. Michael E. Kassner, Kyung-Suk Kim, et al., “New directions in Mechanics,” Mechanics of Materials, 37, pp231-259, 2005.
77. Choi, S. T. and Kim K.-S., “Nano-scale planar field projection of atomistic decohesion of crystalline solids,” ICTAM Proceedings, Warsaw, Poland, 2004.
W.O.Pat-111575. Kyung-Suk Kim, Junlan Wang and Pranav Shrotriya, “Interferometric Absolute and Real-Time Surface Curvature Sensor Insensitive to Tilt, Translation and Vibration,” World Intellectual Property Organization, Publication No. WO/2004/111575.
76. Wang, J., Ward, D., Curtin, W.A. and Kim, K.-S. “Contact Compression of Self-assembled Nano-and Micro-scale Pyramid Structures on Au (100) Surface,” MRS Proceedings, Vol. 795, L8.51, Boston, 2003.
75. Wang, J., Shrotriya, P., Yu, H. and Kim, K.-S. “Experimental measurements of surface residual stresses caused by nano-scale contact of rough surfaces,” MRS Proceedings, Vol. 795, U9.9, Boston, 2003.
74. Yu, H., Shrotriya, P., Wang, J. and Kim, K.-S. “Dislocation nucleation and segregation in nano-scale contact of stepped surfaces,” MRS Proceedings, Vol. 795, U7.9, Boston, 2003.
73. Shenoy, V.B. and Kim, K.-S., “Disorder effects in dynamic fragmentation of brittle solids,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 51, pp. 2023-2035, 2003.
72. Hong, S. and Kim, K.-S., “Extraction of cohesive zone laws from elastic far fields of a cohesive crack tip: a field projection method,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol: 51, No. 7, pp. 1267-1286, 2003.
70. Yu, H., Kim, K.-S. and Cheng, Y. T., “Strength of Surface Nano-Crystalline Layers,” Contemporary Research in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Ed. R.C. Batra and E.G. Henneke, p. 465, 2002.
69. Bastawros, A.F., Kim, K.-S., “Electric-current induced crack growth in thin films: Experimental observations and continuum description,” International Journal of Damage Mechanics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 195-213, 2001.
68. Benzerga, A. A., Hong, S. S., Kim, K.-S., Needleman, A. and Van der Giessen, E., “Smaller is softer: an inverse size effect in a cast aluminum alloy,” Acta Materialia, Vol. 49, No. 15, pp. 3071-3083, 2001.
67. Kim, K.-S., “Atomic inter-planar responses and frictional behavior of a single-asperity contact,” invited paper, Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Vol.45, No.1, p249, 2000.
66. Kim, K.-S. and Hurtado, J. A., “Length-Scale Effects in Nano-and Micro-Mechanics of Solids,” Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 183, pp.1-8, 2000.
65. Bastawros, A.-F. and Kim, K.-S., Experimental Analysis of Near-Crack-Tip Plastic Flow and Deformation Characteristics (I): Polycrystalline Aluminum,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol: 48, No. 1, pp. 67-98, 2000.
64. Im, S. and Kim, K.-S., An application of two-state M-integral for computing the intensity of the singular near-tip field for a generic wedge,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol: 48, No. 1, pp. 129-151, 2000.
63. Kim, K.-S., “Scale effects in adhesive-contact friction,” Extended Abstracts, 1999 MRS Workshop Series; Tribology on the 300th Anniversary of Amontons' Law, 1999.
62. Kim,K.-S., Hurtado,J.A. and Tan,H., “Evolution of surface-roughness spectrum caused by stress in nanometer-scale chemical etching,” Physical Review Letters, Vol. 83, No. 19, pp. 3872-3875, 1999.
61. Andrews, E. A. and Kim, K.-S., “Threshold conditions for dynamic fragmentation of glass particles,” Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 689-703, 1999.
60. Hurtado, J. A. and Kim, K.-S., “Scale effects in friction of single-asperity contacts: Part I; from concurrent slip to single-dislocation-assisted slip,” Proc. R. Soc. London. A, Vol. 455, pp. 3363-3384, 1999.
59. Hurtado, J. A. and Kim, K.-S. Scale effects in friction of single-asperity contacts: Part II; Multiple-dislocation-cooperated slip,” Proc. R. Soc. London. A, Vol. 455, pp. 3385-3400, 1999.
58. Bastawros, A.-F. and Kim, K.-S. “Experimental analysis of deformation induced microstructure near a crack tip in a hardened copper crystal,” Fracture and Ductile vs. Brittle Behavior, MRS Proceedings, Vol. 539, pp. 251 -256, 1998.
57. Hurtado, J. A. and Kim, K.-S., “Transitions of shear resistance in a single-asperity contact,” Fracture and Ductile vs. Brittle Behavior, MRS Proceedings,” Vol. 539, pp. 81 -92, 1998.
56. Bastawros, A.-F. and Kim, K.-S., Experimental study on electric-current induced damage evolution at the crack tip in thin film conductors.” Journal of Electronic Packaging, Vol. 120, No. 4. pp. 354-359, 1998. (1999 Best JEP Paper Award from ASME).
55. Andrews E. A. and Kim, K.-S. Threshold Conditions for Dynamic Fragmentation of Ceramic Particles,” Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 29, pp. 161-180, 1998.
54. Kim, K. -S., McMeeking, R. M. and Johnson, K. L., Adhesion, Slip, Cohesive Zones and Energy Fluxes for Elastic Spheres in Contact,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 243-266, 1998.
53. Bastawros, A.-F. and Kim, K.-S., “The role of electric-current induced heating in damage evolution at the crack tip in thin films,” Application of Fracture Mechanics in Electronic packaging, EEP-Vol. 13, pp 1-12, 1997.
52. Andrews, E. A. and Kim K. -S., “Particle-Impact Experiment for Studying Dynamic Behavior of Brittle Materials,” Advances in Failure Mechanisms in Brittle Materials, MD-Vol. 75/AMD-Vol. 219, pp. 81-91, 1996.
51. Tsai, K.-H. and Kim, K. -S., Micromechanics of Fiber Pull-Out,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 1147-1177, 1996.
50. ONeil DA, Selverian JH, Kim K.-S., “Plasticity considerations in probabilistic ceramic-to-metal joint design,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power-Transactions of the ASME Vol. 118 Issue 1 pp. 159-166, 1996
49. Bastawros, A.-F. and Kim, K.-S., “Electro-Thermal Crack Growth Caused by Electric-Current Intensification,” Application of Fracture Mechanics in Electronic packaging and Materials, EEP-Vol. 11, No. H01018, pp 237-244, 1995.
Prc-50. O'Neil, D. A., Selverian, J. H. and Kim, K. -S., “Plasticity considerations in probabilistic ceramic-to-metal joint design,” Transactions of ASME, 94-GT-229, pp. 1-12, June, 1994. (See 54).
48. Kim, K. S., Shih, C. F., Moran, P., Liu, X. H., “Kink Band Propagation under Compressive Loading in Thick Composites,” Proceedings of International Conference on Composite Engineering, Ed. D. Hui, August, 1994, pp 1051-1052.
47. Shield, T. W., Kim, K.-S. and Shield, R. T., “The Buckling of an Elastic Layer Bonded to an Elastic Substrate,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 61, pp. 231-235, 1994.
46. Rice, J. R., Ben-Zion, Y., Kim, K.-S., “Three-Dimensional Perturbation Solution for a Dynamic Planar Crack Moving Unsteadily in a Model Elastic Solid,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 813-843, 1994.
45. Shield, T. W. and Kim, K.-S. “Experimental Measurement of the Near Tip Strain Field in an Iron-Silicon Crystal,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 845-873, 1994.
44. Andrews, E. W. and Kim, K.-S. “Deformation Recovery Experiment for Penetration Dynamics,” Experimental Techniques in the Dynamics of Deformable Solids, ed. by K. T. Ramesh, ASME-AMD Vol. 165, No. G00788, pp. 49-59, 1993.
43. Yang, M. and Kim, K. -S., “Interface fracture analysis of joints with a ductile interlayer,” International Journal of Fracture, Vol. 64, pp. 201-210, 1993.
42. Tsai, K.-H. and Kim K.-S., “Stick-slip in the thin film peel test, part I, the 90o peel test, “ Int. J. Sol. Struct., Vol. 30, No. 13, pp. 1789-1806, 1993.
41. Yang, M. and Kim, K.-S., “On the Behavior of Subinterface Cracks with Crack-Face Contact,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 155-165, 1993.
40. Tsai, K.-H., Schwartzman, A.F., Gallego, R, Ortiz, M., O'Keefe, M. A. and Kim, K.-S., “Determination of the Strain Field from an HREM image of a Si Lomer Dislocation,” Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Electron Microscopy Society of America, Boston, August, 1992.
39. Choi, H. C., Schwartzman, A. F. and Kim K. -S., “Experimental deformation mechanics of materials from their near-atomic-resolution defect images,” Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., Vol. 239, pp. 419-424, 1992.
38. Shield, T. W. and Kim, K.-S., “Beam theory Models for Thin Film Segments Cohesively Bonded to an Elastic Half Space,” Int. J. of Solids and Structures, Vol. 29, No.9, pp. 1085-1103,1992.
37. Choi, H. C. and Kim, K. -S., “Analysis of the spontaneous interfacial decohesion of a thin surface film,” J. Mech. Phys. Solids, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 75-103, 1992.
U.S.Pat-5,108,025. Kang, Shinhoo, Selverian, John H., Kim, Hans J., Dunn, Edmund M., Kim, Kyung S., “Ceramic-metal composite article and joining method,” April 28, 1992.
36. Rice, J. R., Yehuda, B.-Z., and Kim, K.-S., “A First Order Perturbation Solution for a Dynamic Planar Crack with a Non-Uniformly Moving Front,” American Geophysical Union 1991 Fall Meeting Program and Abstracts (supplement to 29 Oct. 1991 EOS, Trans. AGU), Abstract S31C-7, p. 325, 1991.
Prc-42. Tsai, K.-H. and Kim, K.-S., “Stick-Slip in Thin Film Peeling,” ASME Proceedings, 91-WA/EEP-8, pp 1-10, 1991.
35. Tsai, K.-H. and Kim, K.-S., “A Study of Stick-Slip Behavior in Interface Friction Using Optical Fiber Pull-Out Experiment,” Speckle Techniques, Birefringence Methods, and Applications to Solid Mechanics, SPIE Proceedings, ed. by Fu-Pen Chiang, Vol. 1554A, pp529-541, 1991.
34. Freund, L. B. and Kim, K.-S., “Spiral cracking around strained cylindrical inclusions in a brittle material and implications for vias in integrated circuits,” Mechanical Behavior of Materials and Structures: MRS Proceedings, edited by E. Suhir, R. C. Cammarata and D. D. L. Chung, Vol. 226, pp. 291 -302, 1991.
33. Kim, K.-S., “Measurement of mechanical bulk-and interface-properties of thin polymeric films,” Electronic packaging materials science V: MRS proceedings, edited by E. D. Lillie, P. S. Ho, R. Jaccodine and K. Jackson, Vol. 203, pp. 3-14, 1991
32. Shield, T.W. and Kim, K-S. “Diffraction Theory of Optical Interference Moire and a Device for Production of Variable Virtual Reference Gratings: A Moire Microscope,” Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp 126-134, 1991.
31. Mettu, S. M. and Kim, K.-S., “Application of the Time-Domain Boundary Integral Equation Method to Dynamic Crack Propagation,” Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 39, No.2, pp 339-345, 1991.
30. Kamath, S.M. and Kim, K.-S., “On measuring the near-tip plastic strain singularity,” J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 901 -905, 1990.
29. Tsai, T. H., Kim, K.-S. and Morse, T. F., “General Solutions for Stress-Induced Polarization in Optical Fibers,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 9., No. 1., pp. 7 -17, 1991.
28. Aravas, N., Kim, K.-S. and Leckie, F.A., “On the stored energy of cold work,” J. of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 112, No. 4, pp 465 -470, 1990.
27. Jensen, H.M., Hutchinson, J.W. and Kim, K.-S., “Decohesion of a cut prestressed film on a substrate,” Int. J. Solids and Structures, Vol. 26, No. 9/10, pp. 1099 -1114, 1990.
26. Shield, T.W. and Kim, K.-S., “Moire microscope for the experimental determination of the in-plane displacement field near a crack tip in a single crystal,” Micro Mechanics: Experimental Techniques, ASME, AMD Vol. 102, pp. 41 -60, W. N. Sharpe, Jr. ed. 1989.
25. Kim, K.-S., “Adhesion and Decohesion of thin film,” Bulletin of the American Physical Society, invited paper, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 624 -625, March 1989.
24. Kim, J., Kim, K.-S. and Kim, Y.H., “Mechanical effect of peel adhesion test,” J. of Adhesion Science and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 175 -187, 1989.
23. Aravas, N., Kim, K.-S. and Loukis, M., “On the adhesion test of flexible thin film,” J. of Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. A107, pp. 159 -168, 1989.
22. Kim, K.-S. and Phillips, J.W., “Optical methods of caustics,” Manual on Experimental Stress Analysis, ed. J.F. Doyle, SEM Inc., Chapter, 1988.
21. Kim, K.-S., “Mechanics of the peel test for thin film adhesion,” Adhesion in Solids, Proceedings of Materials Research Society, Vol. 119, pp. 31-41, 1988.
20. Dickerson, K.L. and Kim, K.-S., “Blunt crack caustics,” Optical Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 611-618, 1988.
19. Kim, K.-S. and Aravas, N., “Elastoplastic analysis of the peel test,” Int. J. Solids and Structures, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 417-435, 1988.
18. Kim, K.-S. and Kim, J., “Elasto-plastic analysis of the peel test for thin film adhesion, J. of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 110, pp. 266-273, 1988.
Prc-20. Dickerson, K. L. and Kim K.-S., “Blunt crack caustics,” SPIE Proceedings, Vol. 814, Part Two, September 1987.
17. Kamath, S.M. and Kim, K.-S., “An experimental study of dynamic transient crack growth in finite geometry specimen,” Dynamic Failure, Proceedings of the 1987 SEM Fall Conference, Savannah, Georgia, pp. 228 -233, October 1987.
16. Kim, K.-S., “Interfacial fracture energy for mechanics of thin film delamination,” Bulletin of the American Physical Society, Vol. 32, No. 3, p. 607, 1987.
15. Dehodgins, O.C., Uhlmann, D.R., Tesoro, G.C., Baglin, J.E.E., Kim, K.-S. “Adhesion and mechanical properties of Si-SiO2-polyimide interfaces,” Journal of the Electrochemical society, Vol. 134, Issue: 8B , C435-C435, 1987.
Prc-18. Kim, K.-S. and Kim, J., “Elastic-plastic analysis of the peel test for thin film adhesion,” J. Engineering Materials and Technology, Transactions of ASME, 86-WA/EEP-3, pp. 1-10, December 1986.
14. Kim, K.-S., “Dynamic Fracture Studies by the Method of SIFT,” Optical Method in Composite, Proceedings, 1986 SEM Fall Conference, Keystone, Colorado, pp. 294-298, November 1986.
13. Kim, J., Kim, K.-S., Jahnes, C. and Hougham, G., “Thin Film Adhesion-Mechanical Effects,” J. of Research and Development, IBM, RC11860, pp. 1-16, 1986.
12. Kim, K.-S., Dickerson, K.L. and Knauss, W.G., “Viscoelastic behavior of opto-mechanical properties and its application to viscoelastic fracture studies,” Int. J. of Fracture, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 265 -283, December 1986.
11. Kim, K.-S. and Kamath, S.M., “Coherent light shadow spot at a crack under Mode-I loading,” Experimental Mech., Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 386 -393, 1986.
10. Kamath, S.M. and Kim, K.-S., “On Rayleigh wave emission in brittle fracture,” Int. J. of Fracture, Vol. 31, R57-R62, 1986.
9. Adrian, R.J. and Kim, K.-S., “Book reviews: Optical Methods in Dynamics of Fluids and Solids,” ed. M. Pichal, Springer-Verlag, New York, AIAA Journal, p 1407, 1986.
8. Kim, K.-S., “Dynamic fracture under normal impact loading of the crack faces,” J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 50, No. 3, pp 585-592, 1985.
7. Kim, K.-S., “Stress intensity factor tracer,” J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 291-297, 1985.
6. Kim, K.-S., “A stress intensity factor tracer and its application to time dependent fracture testing,” Advances in Fracture Research, Vol. 5, pp. 3287-3294, 1984.
5. Kim, K.-S. and Clifton, R.J., “Dislocation motion in MgO crystals under plate impact,” J. of Material Science, Vol. 19, pp. 1428-1438, 1984.
4. Kim, K.-S., Dickerson, K.L. and Knauss, W.G., “Viscoelastic effect on dynamic crack propagation in homalite 100,” Workshop on Dynamic Fracture (NSF, ARO), pp. 205-225, Pasadena, Feb. 1983.
3. Kim, K.-S. and Phillips, J.W., “Focal-plane analysis of the optical pattern produced by a Mode-I crack,” Proceedings of the 18th Annual Meeting of the Society Engineering Science, Providence, RI, p. 173, September 1981.
2. Kim, K.-S., Clifton, R.J., “Pressure shear impact of 6061-T6 aluminum,” J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 11-16, 1980.
1. Kim, K.-S., Clifton, R.J. and Kumar, P., “A combined normal and transverse displacement interferometer with an application to impact of Y-cut quartz,” J. of Appl. Phys., Vol 48, No. 10, pp. 4132-4139, 1977.
|1976||MS||Seoul National University|
|1974||BS||Seoul National University|
Society of Engineering Science
American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Society for Experimenatal Mechanics
Materials Research Society
American Physical Society
Board of Directors of the Society of Engineering Science, 2013-15
Editorial Board, Acta Mechanica Sinica, 2012-
Editorial Board, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 2015-2018
U.S. National Committee for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2016-2019
Courses taught at Brown University:
EN 3 Introduction to Engineering and Statics
EN 3-1 Honors Introduction to Engineering
EN 4 Dynamics and Vibrations
EN 31 Mechanics of Solids and Structures
EN 81 Fluid Mechanics
EN 100 Design and Project
EN 130 Structural Analysis
EN 131 Planning and Design of Systems: (project)
EN 137 Advanced Dynamics
EN 175 Advanced Solid Mechanics
EN 186 Advanced Fluid Dynamics
EN 221 Continuum Mechanics
EN 222 Solid Mechanics
EN 224 Linear Elasticity
EN 226 Stress Waves
EN 228 Non-equilibrium Thermomechanics of Defects in Solids
EN 229 Plasticity
EN 232 Experimental Mechanics
EN 237 Nano and Micromechanics of Solids
EN 237b Stability of Structures and Solids
EN 238 Advanced Fracture Mechanics
EN 291-A, Research Seminar in Mechanics of Materials
EN 292s25 Nano and Micro Mechanics of Solid Interfaces
EN 297 Reading Course: Problems in Anisotropic Elasticity
|ENGN 0031 - Honors Introduction to Engineering|
|ENGN 0040 - Dynamics and Vibrations|
|ENGN 1300 - Structural Analysis|
|ENGN 2320 - Experimental Mechanics|